Monday, January 16, 2012

Career Options Discussion Part 2

I moved to the IT department with a promise of application development, but the actual position was titled "Helpdesk Technician". I didn't mind providing IT support throughout the company if it meant I would also get to develop applications, but over time I started to become disillusioned with the position and the department. While I was sent for training on a recently purchased business process management application development software, I ended up spending only about 5 percent of my time working with it; the rest of my time was spent answering the phone, responding to emails, ordering supplies and renewing our various licenses. I even questioned when I would get to work on the next application, and I was told it was at least 6 months away. It got to the point that I dreaded going to work every day.

As much as I ended up hating it, working in the IT department did help me understand what I wanted out of a career. It helped me realize that I missed designing; I needed a creative outlet. I also missed producing anything. I just could not stand dealing mostly with paperwork. Thankfully, after about a year in IT, the director of the Research, Design, and Development department came to see me. The RD&D group was in need of someone who could handle designing automotive interior trim pieces and also be responsible for developing a new digital printing system. I felt very confident with both aspects of the position, and I really wanted out of IT, so I accepted the position immediately. The knowledge I acquired from Edison in dealing with all aspects of digital imaging and design allowed me to leave a position I was not happy with and move on to a much more rewarding opportunity.

Next, my move to RD&D...

No comments:

Post a Comment